"updated" field missing with Blogger

    This was a really fun problem to solve, and helped expand my knowledge with Rich Snippets. A lot of the information that I found on this issue was not helpful and came down to me reading hours of documentation mostly because I didn't know what I was looking for. The best things about this error was I that I could use Google Structured Data Testing Tool to instantly see my results with my code. When I was working on this issue I made sure to backup my Blogger Template, I would do the same.

Problem 
Update field missing in Hatom markup which throws errors in Google's Rich Snippets and probably other search engines as well.

Solution - Should be wrapped with class='hentry' 
<time class='updated' expr:title='data:post.timestampISO8601'>
    <data:post.timestamp/>
</time>
<time class='published' expr:title='data:post.timestampISO8601' itemprop='datePublished'>
    <data:post.dateHeader/>
</time>

Looking more at the documentation, and seeing that hentry is inside an hfeed (but not required as I later found out) and has the field updated as well as published (optional). So I don't think I want to change hentry and I just have to add a update field with data inside the hentry. This worked, however the variable I used in the template is just returning the time not a date.

Added Notes
As it says in the documentation is hfeed (hfeed). optional and if included hfeed should wrap around the hentry. However in both cases hentry has a required field for Update. Ino Entry Updated element,use the Entry Published element, if present otherwise the page is invalid hAtom

Resources
Markup Helper - Article - Webmaster Tools Help
How to solve the Warning: Missing required field "updated" in blogger - Cnamita
Value Class Pattern · Microformats Wiki
hAtom 0.1 · Microformats Wiki - This is where I found my answer, "Update" is required for Hentry.
Datetime Design Pattern · Microformats Wiki
Error: Missing required field "updated". - Google Product Forums
h-entry · Microformats Wiki

Popular posts from this blog

UI-Bootstrap Collapsible Sticky Footer

Installing Windows on Acer chromebook 15 cb3-532

Aspetcore: NLog with Postgresql